Is Brexit the answer?
The Brexit debate seems to have taken over political coverage at the moment, but now is a good time to remind your MP that reform of parliament will be necessary regardless of the outcome of the EU referendum. We have written a letter to some Brexit-supporting MPs making this point and you might like to use it as the basis for a letter of your own on the issue.
There are a few general points you might also like to include:
- Suggest to them that partisan politics is undermining parliament and that what we need from our MPs is their honest and considered judgment, so that MPs can truly serve their constituents.
- Ask whether your MP is prepared to put the needs and interests of constituents above the party whip and, if so, on what types of issues. (You can check your MP’s voting record at TheyWorkForYou.com)
- Ask whether your MP supports the principle of recall of MPs by public ballot. (Be careful: some may claim to support recall but they mean disciplinary action by a parliamentary committee, not recall initiated by constituents.)
If you get a response, let us know about it!
When writing to your Member of Parliament, keep in mind the following points:
- Make sure you write the letter in your own words. This is far more effective than copying and pasting a standard letter.
- Keep it simple and polite.
- It is important that you include your address as MPs will generally only respond if you are one of their constituents.
How to Contact Your MP
You can find out the name of your MP via Parliament’s directory of MPs and Lords, or by entering your postcode in the box below.
Write a letter to your MP at: House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA.
Enter your postcode in the form below to get started.